Friday, July 31, 2009

On tap: Pollywog Porter



Pollywog Porter by SMCbrewing, a home brewery. I love this glass too!

I brewed this porter on July 1, 2009 after not having brewed anything since March. I already had plans to brew a 4th of July beer with my brother-in-law over the holiday weekend, but I figured why not brew up a quick batch before then! After all, I had two empty kegs in my garage that needed to be put to good use and empty kegs just takes up space. I ended up making a last minute decision and hurried to the homebrew shop as I was driving home from work. I didn't have time to do an all-grain batch, so I took the quicker route and bought the ingredients for an extract brew. I stayed away from the pre-packaged kits and picked out my own selection of ingredients which included some liquid malt extract and some crushed grain for steeping along with a vile of White Labs London ale yeast. I guess you could say I put together my own kit! Anyway, to make a long story short, I finished the brew around 11pm that same night and today I have the finished product kegged and fully carbonated as you can see in the picture I posted. The beer turned out to be everything I anticipated. It is rich and robust with an emphasis on chocolate malt and a touch of London throughout. The yeast did fall short of it's potential attenuation, but I am still very pleased by the amount of flavor that was produced. I will definitely attempt an all-grain version of this beer, but for now check out the recipe I used for this particular porter: http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=9022

Cheers!

SMC

No comments:

Post a Comment