Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Brew Review: Red Chair IPA

Red Chair IPA
Deschutes Brewery
Bend, Oregon
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/



I'm travelling up to Bend, Oregon for a week in April for my birthday. I try to make one annual trip a year to the great beer state, usually around my birthday, to give myself a nice beer getaway. For me, what better place to go and try different beers then Central Oregon in the High Desert? Well, outside of Portland, San Diego and Denver at least, but Bend is unique when it comes to breweries. I mean, it's a town of 50,000 people and they have somewhere in the neighbor hood of eight breweries. Eight breweries! Anyway, the anticipation of my trip to Bend has led me to pick up a bottle of Red Chair IPA at the local BevMo. This beer is the newest in the Deschutes Bond Street series of excellent craft beers, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'll get right to the point! This beer is fantastic! It is basically an IPA without the the bitterness! An IPA without bitterness? Yep, at least very limited bitterness, but still hoppy. The nose is a brilliant mix of a caramel malty sweetness and a nice pleasant citrusy hop aroma. When you taste the beer you get the same notes across your palate. The mouthfeel is moderately dry yet nice and smooth. I used a nice wine glass to taste this beer and I think it definitely brought out the full bouquet of flavors. Deschutes has always been one of my favorites and with this brew they won't be losing any fans anytime soon!

Cheers!

SMC

2 comments:

  1. Great review dude! You sound like you are salivating as you describe the beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment HighwayUSMC! I was salivating while I was typing in the description. It was indeed delicious. Sounds like you're a fellow Devil Dog!

    ReplyDelete